Sunday, October 14, 2007

Twas Not The Night Before September 11th, But History Was Still Being Made

Well, sometimes God takes a while to work out His plan, and other times He does it sickeningly quick. This last week was probably one of the most stressful weeks I have had in a very long time. The long Thanksgiving weekend was sweet, plus I got the Tuesday off as well. I did a fairly major purchase on Tuesday, not that it was terribly expensive, but the significance was life altering. The rest of the week I spent trying to figure out if the direction I was heading was the direction God wanted me to be going. I knew it was the right direction, but I was still so stressed. Saturday came around. I headed down to Impact Body Art to get my third and largest tattoo, to date. It cost me quite a bit more than I was expecting. Earlier in the afternoon I had gone to pic up my brother's late wedding present and found out I did not have the money. All this served to only stress me more. A little stress was alleviated when I realized I didn't have the money due to the long weekend, and that I would have access to it after this weekend. But I digress. After my tattoo was done I headed home, got changed, and headed to Melissa's to pick her up so we could go for supper. I was taking her to an Indian restaurant, among other reasons, so I asked her to wear her sari. On the drive over, however, I realized that despite this lovely plan to take her out for Indian, I had no idea what to say once I got there, making me more stressed. I got to her house, she opened the door, I went in and pulled out the item which I had acquired on Tuesday, and Melissa said "Are you serious?" And I thought to myself "Maybe I should get down on one knee." So I did, and I said "Melissa, will you marry me?" And she said "Ya." And then we hugged and went out for supper. Well, hope you enjoyed that as much as I did, but I doubt it, especially the anti-climactic ending. And this is the ring she gave me, her purity ring. Her siblings all have them and they give them to the person they are going to marry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey kevin!! Congrats! but hey, i know what your tatoo means! yup, that's right...free :) it's actually an adjective so i think that if you put eimi in front of it, it would mean, "i am free". but it's sweet :) how did you know to pick that word though? Jen and I love the ring you picked... good work KEVON!

kevin derksen said...

i found the word "i set free" meaning i am the one doing the freeing in a lexicon. and got the proper translation from a prof at trinity. and what is an eimi